Scholarship FAQs

Who is eligible?

Youth who are current or former crown wards of the Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Toronto. Youth under the age of 25 are given priority for funding. If you are over the age of 25, you may still apply but priority will be given to 25 and under. Some exceptions will be allowed if funding permits. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IS NOW CLOSED. WAITLIST APPLIES.

How do I submit my application?

The 2016 Application Process will begin on April 4, 2016. Email us to make sure you are on our mailing list at

What supporting documents are required for my application to be complete?

New Applicants:

Returning Applicants:

If you are a returning youth, but have changed programs you are considered a new applicant and will need to provide proof of enrollment

What are the deadlines?

The deadline to apply for a Hope for Children Scholarship is  May 31, 2016. Applications received after May 31, will be put on a waitlist as funding will not be guaranteed.

If you are applying for a January 2017 start please apply online between September 15th, 2016 and September 30th, 2016.

I am taking part-time studies, how is funding determined?

Hope for Children Fund will pro-rate funding depending on whether you are enrolled in part-time or full-time studies. For example, if you are enrolled in 50% of a full course load, you will receive 50% of the scholarship grant. The Hope for Children Fund considers 4+ courses a full course load.

How many years can I apply for support from the Hope for Children Fund?

You are able to apply for funding for a maximum of 5 years, including post-graduate. This would also allow you to consider post-graduate degrees as long as the 5 years rule is adhered to (for example, a 2 year diploma plus a 3 year post-graduate degree would be funded).

Can I still receive a Scholarship grant if I am getting financial help from elsewhere ( i.e. Crown Ward Access Grant, Tution Aid for Crown Wards, OSAP)

Yes, you are still able to receive a Hope for Children Scholarship grant. However, the new Ontario Access Grants available to crown wards will effect your grant level if you are a youth enrolled at an institution that supports this new grant.


Are there any other scholarships that I could apply for?

Yes, if you are attending St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto please make sure to let us know, you could be eligible for a full scholarship. You can also visit the useful links page, to see other funding opportunities that may apply to you.

How do I receive the scholarship grant?

The Hope for Children Fund issues two installments. One installment is given out at the annual Scholarship Event in August. The second installment will be issued upon the receipt of your interim update in late January.

Do I have to attend the Scholarship event?

Yes.The only exceptions are if you have a significant celebration to attend ( i.e. wedding) or if you have to work.( 2016 Event TBD)

I will be graduating this Spring, do you offer any graduation grants?

Yes, the Graduation Grant is available to all you who complete their post-secondary degree/diploma either in the Winter of 2016 or the Spring of 2017. This is a one-time grant of $1000, youth will need to apply online. Minimum of a two year diploma/degree and you must have received support from the Hope for Children Fund for all your years of schooling.

I am planning to attend a private college/university am I still eligible for a grant?

Yes, you are still eligible. It is advised that you research community colleges for similar programs as private colleges often have higher tuition costs and low employment opportunities.

Can I request an early release of my scholarship?


I have applied for OSAP, and I am having issues receiving the crown ward grants who can help?

Please contact the Hope for Children Fund at 416-395-1634.

I have other questions, how can I contact the Hope for Children Fund?

You can contact our offices either by email at or by telephone at 416-395-1634. The Hope for Children Fund is committed to supporting you in any way we can.